RE: I Need Starter Help!

To: "Douglas Gaither" <dbgaither@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: I Need Starter Help!
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 06:53:53 -0500
Doug,
Interesting.  I have a 66 Spit that just had the same problem.  Always
started easy and ran great.  I was showing it this week to a potential buyer
and it decided not to start.  It turned over very slowly a couple of times
then nothing but the click in the solonoid.  I could turn the starter
armature by hand so I knew it wasn't stuck on the flywheel.  Took the
battery out and had it checked.  Needed a charge but after the charge it
still checked bad so I put a new one in.  Thought all was okay, but when I
tried to start it didn't do anything.  I also found a loose body ground wire
but that didn't help either.  I was told that you can get an inexpensive
tester that has a loop to check the amperage on the starter wire.  I didn't
try one, but I was lucky enough to have a spare starter so I put it in and
it started right up.  Took the old one apart and found the commuter was
totally trashed where the brushes run against it.  Couldn't believe how it
ran so well one day and just stopped working the next.  You may want to look
for the tester as it is more difficult to change a B starter than the Spit.
Pete