Re: pinion seal

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: pinion seal
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:36:08 -0000
Potentially scary is right!  Get the torque wrong on the diff pinion nut and
you can destroy the collapsible washer, which are reputedly NLA, but then
how do axle rebuilders get on?

Not BT, DT but the Leyland Workshop Manual talks about measuring the torque
required to turn the pinion flange before you start, which should be in
excess of 4 to 6 lb. *inches*, and putting it back to that after replacing
the oil seal.  If originally less than 4 lb. in. then it should be set to
between 4 and 6.  But others have said this is a sure way to destroy the
washer, and what you should do is count *exactly* how many turns and part
turns are required to remove the nut, and replace it the same amount,
irrespective of pinion or nut torque.

This applies to the tube type/Salisbury axle only, the banjo appears to be
'140 lb. ft.'

PaulH.