Re: [MG-MGB] clutch problem

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] clutch problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:50:25 +0100
The classic symptom of clutch spin is when you increase the throttle the revs
rise but the road speed doesn't, and this usually happens in 4th gear first as
the torque on the clutch is greatest in that gear.

You may well have had clutch spin or slip originally, but having disconnected
the hydraulics to remove the engine etc. you may well now have air in the
system causing the low biting point.

You should have about 1/2" to 5/8" of travel of the slave pushrod when the
pedal is operated through its full travel.  One cause of travel *less* than
this is air in the hydraulics.  These are generally reckoned to be a pig to
bleed, so when I replaced my master, flex hose and slave I didn't even try,
but filled the system from the slave bleed nipple using a Gunsons EeziBleed on
very low pressure.  This got me the full travel straight away with no
bleeding.  Any system of reverse filling or bleeding should achieve the same
result.

Another cause of a low biting point is wear in the mechanical linkage up at
the master.  A combination of ovalled holes in the pedal and the master
push-rod, and a badly worn clevis pin, lost me about an inch of travel at the
pedal.  Contrary to popular opinion similar wear at the slave end does *not*
affect pedal travel as the hydraulics make the system self-adjusting for any
wear in the slave linkage, release arm, release bearing, cover plate, and
friction plate.

PaulH.