[Fwd: Re: Banjo vs. Tube axle]

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Banjo vs. Tube axle]
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:18:29 -0600
Ok, I wish I could tellyou it is a simple change.  Reality is that the
work is simple if you have the right parts. The key part in question is
the driveshaft.

Moss lists the driveshafts as follows:

    Driveshaft assembly 30" standard - Banjo Axle
    Driveshaft assembley 31.125" overdrive - Banjo Axle
    Driveshaft assembly  31.125" standard - Tube type axle
    Driveshaft assembly 32" overdrive - tube type axle
    Driveshaft Assembly 31.125" all from 138401 on

There are also the shackle plate/shock mount/bump stop/u-bolt
differences, again from the moss book

    Plate - spring locating - Banjo type axle (2 per side req.)
    Plate - spring locating - Tube type axle (2 per side req.)
    bracket R/H shock absorber - Banjo type axle
    bracket L/H shock absirber - Banjo type axle
    bracket R/H shock absorber - Tube type axle
    bracket L/H shock absirber - Tube type axle
    U-bolt - banjo type axle
    U-bolt - tube type axle
    U-bolt '76 and on
    Pedestal - bump stop - banjo type axle
    Pedestal - bump stop - tube type

I converted my '67 MGB from a Banjo axle to tube type for the wire wheel
hubs about 10 years ago.  I remember I had to change a lot of hardware,
and it does add up, but it's not too bad.  The driveshaft was the
expensive part, as I also went from std trans to overdrive trans at the
same time.  So do a lot of checking and make sure you put in the
appropriate parts for the axle you want. The tube type is supposed to be
quieter and more reliable.  I also have an MGA (with an MGB ratio
pumpkin) - I really can't tell much difference in reliability or
quietness so far.

My suggestion is this - if you want wires, you need a wire wheel axle -
use the tube type axle and make the appropriate changes.  If having wire
wheels is not important (and I have wires and would suggest that steel
wheels are better, just not as pretty), keep your banjo axle (assuming
it's good too) and go on in life without worry about it.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB (wire wheels, and tube type axle transplanted - as well as
overdrive)
'58 MGA (MGB engine and rear axle ratio)

Phil Bates