Re: X-member mounting pads

To: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: X-member mounting pads
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:52:55 +0100
If you just pull the rack, note where any shims are, and refit as removed
the alignment should not have been disturbed.  That is if the cross-member
is positively located and can only be tightened in one position, which is
what I'd expect.  If the cross-member has some free-play on its mountings
and can be tightened in various positions (which doesn't seem right as it
would affect the steering geometry) then unless you only loosen one side at
a time and can lever the chassis rail up enough to change the pads you are
still going to have to realign the steering rack and column.

PaulH.