Re: Overdrive transmission oil

To: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive transmission oil
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:09:40 +0100
You should be able to use the same grade of oil as is used in the engine,
detergent or not is the issue, from a longish list.  Whilst you can
reputedly use other lubricants in the gearbox and OD (which share it of
course) if it doesn't work with 20W/50, 10W/40 or whatever there is
something wrong with it that an alternative *may* alleviate.  But if it does
alleviate a problem you are only getting round it, not curing it.

The OD includes low pressure (for when OD is disengaged just to provide
lubrication) and high pressure (for when OD is engaged to change the ratio
*and* lubricate) relief valves so given everything else in spec it just
isn't that sensitive to oil grade.

PaulH.