Re: V1 #1760

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: V1 #1760
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:29:50 -0500
On Apr 18, 2005, at 10:11 AM, owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net () wrote:

> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:27:18 +0100
> From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [MG-MGB] update on clutch battle
>
> I find this surprising.  As soon as the slave piston starts to move at
> all, it
> is starting to take the pressure of the diaphragm springs off the
> friction
> plate.
>  Soon the clutch will start to slip but still drag, further movement
> clears the drag, plus a bit of 'overthrow'.  1/16" in 1/2" of travel
> is pretty
> small, and all I'd expect that to cause is a slightly lower biting
> point than
> normal and hence less overthrow.  From what you were saying you were
> getting
> no attempt to release the drive through the clutch.  Also unless the
> slave
> piston gradually moves back into the cylinder while the pedal is held
> to the
> floor, there is no leakage of fluid past the seals in either the
> master or the
> slave, so refurbing these is unlikely to make any difference to the
> situation.

I agree.   Your description here is exactly why I didn't think it was
hydraulics.

> A weak and swelling hose could contribute to reduced slave piston
> travel, as
> would insufficient bleeding which could be caused by the bleed nipple
> being in
> the lower hole rather than the upper, as would wear in the linkage at
> the
> master end - ovalling of the holes in the pedal and master push-rod
> and a
> heavily grooved clevis pin.

  My bushings on the pedals are fine. There is no free play. The master
cylinder push rod goes all the way into the cylinder.  I find it hard
to believe that there is so little leeway in the system but when I hit
that magical 1/2" that my slave won't quite hit, then the engine is
disengaged and I can run the shifter through the all the gears without
trouble.  I drop it down to 7/16" and the engine won't disengage and I
take off.

I'm going to replace that hose first.  I can't see any swelling or
problem when the clutch is pressed but I'm beginning to think that is
the problem.  I do have an orginal style slave cylinder so the bleed
nipple issue being in the wrong hole is not a possibility.