RE: Looking at buying a BGT - but it's got a rusty sill

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Looking at buying a BGT - but it's got a rusty sill
From: "TJ Tryon" <tjt@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:44:25 -0500
I learned my very rudimentary welding skills on MGs.

Get a MIG welder with gas.  Get a MIG welder with gas.  Did I mention, Get a
MIG welder WITH gas.  Here on the other side of the pond, Harbour Freight
has a pretty decent setup for about $250-$300.  Good auto darkening helmet
is VERY helpful as well.  I believe the metal for both sides cost me about a
grand.

When removing spot welds, get a spot weld drill bit.  I started with a
regular drill bit, then when I burned it up, NAPA talked me into spending
the cash on a spot weld bit, about $30 with replacement "teeth".  It looks
like a little keyhole saw, and works WELL.  I'd never use a regular drill
bit again.

Make some sparks.  Get some scrap metal to practice.  It's very easy to do.

Use POR-15, or Eastwood encapsulation stuff on all metal before and after
welding.

So, to answer your question, yes it's a very complex (lots of steps) easy
(very straightforward) thing for someone to learn on.  Just take your time,
go slow, and have fun with it.  I think I could, providing no REAL issues,
do a side in a weekend.  That said, my 73 B has been down for about 3 weeks
now, mainly due to a lack of time, my crazy work schedule, as well as
nearing the end of a semester for some grad classes I am working on..

Pictures of my progress are at:

http://tj.lhc-group.com/gallery/view.php?gallery_id=20

I've got all the metal cut away, for the most part, after about 5-10 hours
of work.  Now I'm ready to start cleanup of the remaining metal.  Then
painting with POR-15 then welding.  In my twisted, perfect sunshine world, I
imagine I should be able to complete the job over a weekend, depending on
drying time of the POR-15, so realistically I plan on about 2-3 weekends of
time for me to finish up the drivers side, everyone knows nothing is ever
perfect, especially when working on a 30 year old car.

TJ