Re: clutch problems-solved

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch problems-solved
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:48:29 +0100
Congratulations on getting it sorted.  In my experience the engagement point
is slightly more than half-way down, much higher would exceed the
flexibility of my ankles and need me to raise my heel from the floor.
Engagement near the top implies that the friction surfaces are very worn,
there will be less tension on them than there should be, and it is near to
slipping which is usually noticed first in top gear with a large throttle
opening.  By contrast air in the hydraulics causes a low engagement point
and crunching in reverse.  However other mechanical problems in the
linkages, slave or master could cause a high or low biting point.  A PO
having welded an extension on to the slave push-rod, or using a longer one
from some other car, to 'correct' a low biting point due to problems
elsewhere can also cause a high biting point when the real problem is
corrected by the CO.

There is no adjustment on the clutch, it is self-adjusting.  The clutch
springs push the slave piston back into its cylinder just far enough so the
clutch is fully engaged, then when the pedal is drawn fully back it pulls
enough fluid into the system from the reservoir so that the next time the
pedal is pushed the slave piston disengages the friction plates by a known
amount to give the correct biting point.  All other factors being to spec ,
of course.

PaulH.