Noisy differential update

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Noisy differential update
From: "Steve Gorr" <sgorr2@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 21:53:26 -0500
Well the noise on deceleration is finally gone. Shame I didn't heed the KISS
principle that I so often spout. Yes the thrust washers were a bit worn, but
the noise didn't abate after replacing them. Though I swear the sound was
coming from the back end, it really was the front u-joint using the hollow
drive shaft like a megaphone. That joint really didn't want to come off. Took
a pro an hour to pop that one out. Then comes the test drive and there is
still noise on deceleration but only between 2500-2000 rpm. Shimmed the rear
exhaust clamp and, at last, the noises are gone! Do I get to drive it to work
tomorrow? Nah, severe thunderstorms predicted for Chicagoland. Maybe Friday.

Steve Gorr
'78 B, Carmine
Safety Fast