Re: turning rear wheel

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: turning rear wheel
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 20:49:32 -0500
At 08:37 PM 5/22/05 -0500, MonteMorris wrote:
>When I have the 79B up on jacks and running IN NEUTRAL, the right rear wheel
>turns slowly. I can stop it, but it then starts slowly turning again. What
>would cause this?

Viscosity of the oil in the gearbox causes a slight frictional drag in the
bushings inside of 2nd and 3rd gears on the mainshaft.  This transmits just
enough torque to the mainshaft to turn the propshaft when the wheels are
not blocked.  When one wheel turns and the othre doesn't, the one not
turning has a little more friction somewhere, perhaps a brake shoe dragging
slightly.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com