Re: Lower Trunnion needed when doing bushings?

To: Marc Siegel <smarc@abs.net>
Subject: Re: Lower Trunnion needed when doing bushings?
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:11:52 -0400
My 2 cents:

If you're taking the front end apart, do a full rebuild.  Kingpins,
swivel bushings (pressed in and reamed by a machine shop), the whole 9
yards.  Moss and others have a major suspension kit, and Lindsay
Porter's book (forget what it's now called) does a good job of
explaining.  This stuff does wear, and if you're tearing it all down
anyway... it's worth doing right.

V8 bushes are great.  Much sturdier than the stock rubber bushings.
But, one caveat.  Put anti-sieze -- a lot of it -- between the metal
part of the bushing and the pivot.  If you don't, it will rust solid.
The next time you want to take it apart, it will take hours of work,
lots of heat, and make you unhappy.  A bit of anti-sieze, and it's no
problem to remove in 10 years/100k miles to re-rebuild.

They will press in fine with a vise.  I used a long bolt and some
washers to press them in the last time around... not a big deal.

By "sway bar links", you mean the vertical bits that go from the lower
wishbone to the end of the sway bar?  I would, again, replace them if
you're tearing it all down.  Not necessary, but the rubber inside the
lower end can degrade -- you end up with a little slop in the
suspension, and a nut that is a major pain to remove.

Matt