RE: Foam in radiator

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Foam in radiator
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:45:42 -0600
I would be concerned. Foam normally indicates surfactants
(environmentally speaking) which would indicate a problem with the water
quality that was added to the coolant. But in a radiator, it more likely
indicates oil/exhaust gas leakage into the coolant. When you first start
the car and before the coolant heats up, do you have pressure in the
radiator? The next step would be to run a compression check.

I'd suspect head gasket. But that in itself isn't really a big deal - a
few hours of work, a gasket set, and maybe have a machine shop check the
head for warpage and plane it out.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B