RE: Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)

To: <kmwheeler@ualr.edu>, <miket@maine.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:38:13 -0700
Ok.  I bite.

Incorrect coil, causing too much current to flow through the points.
The points heat up and the plastic lift block starts to melt reducing
the point gap to zero.

Very common if someone is working on a pre-72 MGB and can get their
hands on later parts car bits.  Stuff the coil from a 72- car into an
early one and it happens every time.

How did I do?

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf
> Of kmwheeler@ualr.edu
> Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 2:15 PM
> To: miket@maine.rr.com; mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)
>
> Points.  Yuck.  I'm so glad I went to electronic ignition on the rally
car
> ('68 'B GT).  Prior to that wonderful move,
> (well wonderful except when I got hit by an ignition spark!  wow!) I
had a
> strange thing going on that at first
> I could not explain, then, like so many bizarre car situations, it
seemed
> totally logical when I found the progenitor
> fault.
>
> The car started to run poorly, symptoms of an ignition fault.  It had
> fairly new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, points, condenser...
>
> I checked the points gap.  Way too small.  Adjusted it, drove car.
Ran OK