Re: Clutch Drag or Transmission?

To: "Dennis Luther" <DennisLuther@primhall.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Drag or Transmission?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:01:38 +0100
If it were regular and consistent, and the biting point were near the floor,
I would say either gross wear in the mechanical linkages at the pedal end
(the hydraulics compensate for mechanical wear at the slave end) or some air
in the hydraulics, both of which lead to insufficient slave push-rod travel,
it should be 1/2" to 5/8".  But if intermittent and the biting point is
still 'normal' even when it is dragging with the pedal fully depressed, then
it is something internal to the bell-housing.  My V8 tends to this if not
used for a while, but clears after a decent drive or if I slip it at highish
revs for a few seconds when stationary.  Sometimes I can get 2nd but not
1st, sometimes only 3rd and 4th, which makes it fun for pulling away.
Reverse grinds as it has no synchro.

PaulH.