RE: New '79 MGB owner

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New '79 MGB owner
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:58:07 -0700
Dick:

I'm in the same boat you are in.  I've got a 1979 that has been sitting
around for a long time and I've been fixing it bit by bit.

I've never used one of Dan's kits, but they do have a good reputation.
If I was going to build a heavily modified car there is no question that
I would use one of his kits.

The MGB harnesses don't have much of a problem, so long as you address a
few simple areas, so I am using the original harness on my car after I
fixed the rat tooth marks in the front loom.

I'm not in favor of changing something that radical if it works ok.
Clean the connections, check the grounds and replace the fuse box.  No
matter how good Dan's harness is, the quality of the connections to the
original switches, lamps etc. are going to be the weak point.  Poor
crimps can cause all kinds of problems a couple of years down the road.

I've installed both the Monza system from Pace Setter and the Ansa
system which is very similar in overall design.  Moss Motors used to
carry both interchangeably as their "sport system".  I chose to stick
with the Ansa brand system as quality and fit was better.  YMMV, but
no-one at Moss argued with me.  It has the twin pipes and overall just
has a nicer feel and sound to it.

Feel free to contact me directly if you need any used bits for your
project as during the course of building an MGB V8 I've ended up
completely dismantling a number of 77-80 chassis, so I've probably got
spares.

All the best.

Kelvin Dodd