Re: Overheating - general comment

To: Saabnutty@aol.com, dcouncill@msubillings.edu, ejrussell@mebtel.net,
Subject: Re: Overheating - general comment
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:14:12 -0700
I have an Edelbrock 2198 intake manifold and Perma-Cool 2,950 cfm rad
fan with 'strap-on' temp switch.  Did not like the 'strap-on' as I am
sure that touchy-up methods are not too reliable (although they
worked well when I was a single man!).  So I have installed a
Perma-Cool screw-in temp switch (1/2" 14 NPT) at the horrendous price
of Cdn$70 on the manifold.  Whether or not this solves my
splutter-splutter problem is yet to be determined.   The PC one was
the only one I could find so what other Edel people use is a mystery
- perhaps they use the hole for temp gauges not on-off switches!

At 05:55 PM 8/25/2005, Saabnutty@aol.com wrote:
>OK, I lost track of the original post, but I thought I would put my two cents
>in.  When I drove my 1978 MGB home for the first time, the temp gauge
>immediately moved up into the H zone.  Car seemed OK, and the
>electric fans came on,
>so I kept driving it with the heater cranked up on high (a mini radiator).
>
>Now, once home I took a small cooking thermometer and tie-wrapped it to the
>upper heater hose.  It read around 180-200 degrees, so I figured I
>was OK.  So
>I drove it quite a bit while ignoring the temperature gauge.
>
>After posting my problem, someone on the list suggested it was probably the
>temp sender.  After replacing the sender - the problem was fixed!
>
>May all our problems be so simple.
>donny v
>1978 MGB
>

>In a message dated 8/11/2005 10:53:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>dcouncill@msubillings.edu writes:
>Yes, this was similar to my experience. So the first question I would ask in
>the case of the temp gauge reading high - is the car really overheating or is
>the gauge reading high?

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson