Re: Ceramic Coatings

To: barrie@look.ca
Subject: Re: Ceramic Coatings
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 07:34:04 -0400
Barrie,
  AirBorn Coatings did the exhaust manifold for my TD in 1998.  At the
time, the price was $50 for outside only and $70 for in and outside of a
cast-iron four cylinder manifold. Standard colors were black, blue, red,
white, silver-grey.   They had two locations, E.Hartford, CT
860-528-8281,  and Oklahoma City, OK, 405-685-4433.
   T-series cars' manifolds were an aluminium coating originally. I
couldn't find anyone nearby who could do that coating, so took my
manifold to AirBorn.  About a week later I learned of a couple of places
that do the aluminium spray but the job had already been done.  The
coating seems to have held up well, though there are little areas of rust
beginning at the nuts.  I used the silver-grey, which did look sharp when
new.  It stains from dripping fluids if the liquid isn't wiped off
quickly. AirBorn has methods to remove/reduce the stains, but hand access
to the TD manifold is limited although visibility of the stains is not.
   Improving the appearance of the manifold was my goal; I was not
concerned about heat, so did not attempt to measure it before or after.
According to their literature at that time, retention of heat within the
manifold and exhaust system does provide an increase in useable power.
Controlling wheel spin in TDs is a constant worry; I did not notice any
change.
Bob