Re: Shock Conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shock Conversion
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:20:57 EDT
In a message dated 10/09/2005 8:04:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

I have  to disagree with this too.  Lever-arms shouldn't need topping-up,  if
they do they are leaking, and if they are leaking they are shot.

____________________________________

Paul, the seals used in stock Armstrongs are not the very best. They may  not
BEGIN to leak for years, but they will do so eventually. If you don't check
them once every year or two, when they do start to leak (and they will) it
will  be terminal as they will be allowed to run the fluid level down to where
they do  damage to the mechanism.

We have rebuilt these shocks the way they should have been made in the  first
place - hard chromed shafts and a double lip seal - so they are truly a
'fill and forget' proposition.

Nonetheless, Armstrongs are MILES ahead of what used to be used as OEM
shocks. I recall my first new car - a 1968 Toyota. Rugged little beast, but the

shocks they used (tube) lasted about 10,000 miles, and that was typical in
those
 days.

Bill