Trunk Lift

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Trunk Lift
From: John.Hed@faa.gov
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:00:08 -0700
Hi All,

The trunk support was not attached to my "B" I recently bought.  The owner
had one in the trunk, "just hadn't installed it yet".  Didn't think much of
it, but now that I have tried to install it, it seems to not fit!

Just before it gets to the closed position, the bolt head on the lid hits
the top end of the bottom slider/sleeve.  Yes, it is the correct bolt.
looks just like the one for the similar hood support.  This could mean
several things:

a)  I have the wrong support
b)  Something wrong with the anchor points.

On very close inspection is appears the trunk lid maybe has been repaired
in the past.  Looks like the LH hinge area was welded and maybe a new plate
welded so the hinge could be reattached.  Same thing around the bracket for
the lid prop.  I am wondering if the braket on the trunk lid was not welded
on just slightly in the wrong spot.  just a little too far up and this
problem would happen.  I could use some of your help to troubleshoot.

a)  Could someone out there make the following measurements from their
trunk support rod:   Length of outside slider portion.   When hood is up
and locked, the bolt to bolt distance.  Hopefully this will tell me if I
have the correct prop.

b)  On a trunk lid, could someone measure the distance from the LH hinge
outside bolt to the center of the prop support bracket on the trunk lid.
Hopefully this will tell me if the bracket is in the right place.

Thanks

John Hed
80 MGB LE
john.hed@faa.gov