RE: "SUPERCARS.NET - Picture of the Day"

To: "'Paul T. Root'" <ptroot@iaces.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: "SUPERCARS.NET - Picture of the Day"
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:24:14 +0100
Cool - clearly an attempt to make a new Austin Healey 3000.  Not a bad job -
clearly inspired by the original, but still a thoroughly modern-looking car.

On the MG Rover sale, since Nanjing Automotive took over there hasn't been a
great deal to report.  I did see an article on the BBC News website a couple
of days ago that claimed that Nanjing were going to restart some car
production at Longbridge next year, although most manufacturing will be in
China.  This is contrary to earlier reports (speculation?) that Nanjing
would ship all the machinery straight over to China, and there would be no
production in the UK at all.

I'm sceptical.  Even if they do restart UK production (and I'm not
optimistic), I can't see it being maintained for the long term, at least not
for the mass market vehicles.  That could only happen with constant cash
injections from the government, and it was pretty clear from the way MG
Rover collapsed that that is not going to happen.

Richard & Nancy (Black Tulip '73 BGT on her way out of hibernation)

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If
you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in
this communication shall be legally binding.