Re: 1968 MGBGT Vin Location

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1968 MGBGT Vin Location
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:45:28 -0700
That is the correct location. But there could be two or three tags in that
location -- a narrow strip with the 'body number", beginning with "MGB" or
"101"; a larger plate labelled "Commission Number" (which might be in front
of the radiator diaphragm instead); and the chassis number, which is what we
would call the VIN. This plate would be black and silver, and say "The M.G.
Car Company, Abingdon-on-Thames".

Unfortunately, at this period the factory used screws, not rivets, for these
tags, so they are susceptible to loss (usually during painting) or
replacement (for whatever reason, not necessarily nefarious).

In theory, a US-spec car would also have the chassis number stamped "inside
the front right-hand side member in the engine compartment just behind the
fornt engine mount, adjacent to the starter motor." Also, "at least some
cars had the car number stamped in the floor pan in front of the right-hand
seat."

This info from "Original MGB". Hope it helps.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

--