Re: Thump the Pump (was: Fuel Pump Problem)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thump the Pump (was: Fuel Pump Problem)
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:51:28 -0400
> a well-placed smack or two... can resuscitate an ailing fuel pump

I suspect I've told this story before but here goes anyways.

My Dad (now retired) was an airline pilot (and aircraft mechanic before that).

One day I had the fuel pump out of my MGA lying on the work bench as he came
by. He glanced at the pump and asked, "where did you get that?" He seemed kinda
upset in the asking until I explained it was from the MG. I was repairing it
because I kept having to whack it to get it to work.

He then told me the unit looked just like the device used in a DC-3 to make the
running lights flash. He was recently stuck in line waiting to take off because
a cargo DC-3 could not get clearance as its running lights would not flash.
They'd turn on but not flash. My Dad broke into the radio conversation and told
the pilot to instruct his navigator to make a fist and thump the panel above
his left knee.

The running lights began flashing and the cargo plane was cleared to take off.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC