Re: Carb Balancing On My MGA

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb Balancing On My MGA
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:23:39 -0700 (PDT)
 on 10/9/05 6:55 AM, Mike Razor at mrazor@mis.net wrote:

>  At idle the motor bucks shimmies and shakes.  At speed
> it runs just fine.  My limited knowledge and a couple
> of car buddies think the carbs are out of balance.  Also, the
> RPMs are running higher than normal at idle but at times
> will drop back to around 800 - 1000 RPMs.

Check to make sure the choke isn't stuck on one of the
carbs.  That will make the engine run quite rough (and
stall) at idle, although it will run just fine at speed.
I suppose you could characterize that as being "out of
balance" - *very* out of balance.  :-)  If the fast idle
cam is sticking and not just the jet, it might result in
the fast idle you describe as well.

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com