Re: Rear Axle Rebuild Help please

To: "Paul Osborne" <paul@ece.rochester.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Rebuild Help please
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:24:57 +0100
No gasket shown in either the Parts Catalogue or Workshop Manual.  AFAIK the
bearing cap bolts up tight against the outer face of the bearing which
pushes it in to tight contact with the bottom of the recess in the casing
and that together with the fact that the bearing is an interference fit in
the axle casing and cap prevents any leakage round the outside of the
bearing.  There is no pressure on the oil as there should be a breather vent
on top of the right-hand tube.  A smear of sealant won't hurt, I suppose,
but don't let any get squeezed out and into the race.  I didn't use any when
rebuilding mine and it doesn't leak.  However make sure you use a new oil
seal in the bearing cap, and check the collar (slides over the end of the
half-shaft) it runs on isn't damaged or you will get leaks.  The collars are
replaceable and available (or were a few years ago).

PaulH.