Re: Electrical Question

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Question
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:27:47 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:59 PM
Subject: Electrical Question

What would cause the motor to to keep running after shutting off the key?
Also, the green-wired electrical circuit stays on.  These last about 2-3
seconds after shutting off the key and then they finally shut off.  Is it
because, while installing new wiring harnesses, I said some not-so-nice
things
about Mr. Lucas?

This is on the 79 B.

Larry Daniels

************************

I found my own answer to my electrical questions.  Since one problem was
rather unique, I thought I would let everyone know.

The green circuit not working was simple.  After studying the schematic, I
guessed that the problem led back to a bad ignition relay, which it did.
New relay, problem solved.

The power remaining on for 2-3 seconds was a little harder.  The PO had a
wiring fire and jury-rigged the cars electrical system back together.  The
radiator thermostat switch had broken so he had wired the radiator fan into
the ignition circuit giving it power all of the time the key was on.  When I
replaced the harnesses, I noticed the broken switch and also wired the fan
into the white circuit pending the arrival of a new switch.

When the key was turned off, the fan lost power, but, as it continued to
spin down, it kept just enough power in the white circuit to keep the ign
relay powered.  When the fan stopped, the relay finally lost enough power to
open the switch again -- 2-3 seconds after turning the key off.  I
disconnected the fan from the white circuit and everything worked as it
should again.  Who woulda thunk it?

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE
72 Midget
60 Bugeye

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."