Engine side covers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine side covers
From: Emjaxfl@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:06:43 EST
Listers,

Would you please clarify the purpose of the hoses that go from the front
engine side cover/oil separator to the vacuum ports on the HIF carbs? Is it to
pull crankcase fumes into the intake for combustion or provide a vacuum signal
lift the pistons in the carbs?

If I have the hoses connected to the carbs, the engine will not start. If I
remove the hoses and plug the ports, the car will start (18 in Hg @ 1000 rpm)
and run for 30 seconds or so before it loads up and stalls.

I'm curious if a side cover gasket failure would cause a major vacuum leak
and prevent the car from starting and running. The car suddenly quit running on
Saturday and I'm working to find the cause. Ignition and fuel systems seem to
be fine.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Eric in Florida
1974 MGB