RE: First MGB Clutch

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: First MGB Clutch
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:25:24 -0800
Max:

I don't remember any problems with the heavy duty clutch components.
The cover and disc are still carried and are being used by a number of
MGVR members.

I don't recommend the cover for street use as it has higher spring
pressure which put more load on the TO bearing and hydraulic system.  If
you are putting over 100 hp down on a regular basis, it would give you
the extra clamping needed.  Personally I don't pull mobile homes over
steep mountain passes, so even with a supercharger I would not install
one.

I would need to do more research on the disc as I don't know what
improvements it offers.  I am guessing that the springs are stiffer,
which may not be a bad thing as I have had badly worn, loose springs on
street cars before now.  I don't know if there is a material
specification change.

Both components are the correct bits specced by Borg & Beck, now Delphi
Lockheed for better clamping on modified MGBs.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf