Re: MGB Windshield Problem

To: <RobertS355@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Windshield Problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:42:37 -0000
In theory the windscreen assembly is pretty rigid, any flexing or perhaps
even incorrect assembly causing a warped frame is likely to crack the glass.
But if the alignment was correct before you started, and all you have done
is remove, dismantle and reassemble (?), and refit then it must be something
you have done, to be honest.  Each side can be adjusted independently for
fore and aft movement, and up and down movement, but in theory that *should*
leave the screen upright and angled part of the 1/4-light frame parallel
even though it alters the distance between them.  The whole screen can be
tilted forwards and backwards to get the correct alignment between the
uprights and 1/4-light frame, but again this *should* affect both sides
equally, anything else implies the frame is warping.

Having recently refitted a screen with new rubber I know how hard it is to
get it properly bedded down, compared to refitting a screen with an old
rubber.  The former took three of us and various clamps before I could get
the bolts started, the latter I did single-handed and it just dropped into
place.  I'm going to have to lift my screen off again to put more sealant on
the pillar seals as I think that is what is now leaking - ironically much
worse when parked than when driving.  It's been on the car a year now, I
hope the seal has flattened sufficiently so I don't have the same struggle
as before to get the bolts in.

PaulH.