Re: Spot the Abuse

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spot the Abuse
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:18:09 +1030
On 10/11/2005, at 11:05 PM, Barney Gaylord wrote:

> At 09:10 PM 11/9/05, Eric Erickson wrote:
>> Follow this URL:
>> http://www.erickson.on.net/oldclutch.jpg
>
> Have pity on the ignorant, for they know not what they do.

OK, I am not too proud to admit it - it was ME!  I am still learning :-)

> Rest foot on clutch pedal while driving.

Really - I don't do it (that I am aware of).  I don't sit at lights
with the clutch in either (the button clutch is a heavy bugger and I
would have a very tired leg sitting with the clutch in for too long -
it teaches you good habits?).

This was a real shock to me as I had no sensation at all that
anything untoward was happening - but as I said, the clutch is pretty
clunky at the best of times.  Now for a couple years before I got the
LSD I admit that I rode the clutch a bit when taking off from the
startline (yes, on the racetrack) because if I wasn't careful and
just "dumped it" I could get some nasty axletramp.  I guess this was
probably when the damage was really done.  Nowdays I do just "dump
it" and sometimes just light those tyres up a bit and waste a little
rubber if I am not careful.

4000 revs then quickly slide the clutch out?  Poor thing no wonder it
hurt!

Anyway, all is better now and I learn stuff all the time - and with
the engine out for painting she is getting a little freshen up and
should be right for another four years of senseless abuse.

In fact with her sponsorship I am going to need to do more trackwork
(to get the sponsor's logos seen) than ever before.

Come on - it is a sports car.  I am sure she loves every minute of
it :-)

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia