RE: MGB Side Exhaust

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Side Exhaust
From: "Michael Singleton" <Mike@sportscarslimited.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:09:13 -0800
As a point of interest, a while back whilst still working for Lawrie
Alexander at British Sportscar Service, we had a customer bring in an MGB
with dual side exiting exhausts. He had run the end two cylinders out one
side and the siamese'd center ports out the other side. The pipes exited in
front of the rear wheels. Starting up this car in the shop caused Lawrie,
who was sitting in the office attending to other matters, out into the shop
in a mad rush, shouting for us, "To shut the bloody car off immediately, as
any bloody fool could hear that it was only running on two cylinders and
about to do something very bad."  We weren't aware of how very bad it
sounded, as we could hear all 4 cyls firing, although it was definately a
very weird sound, something like 2 lawn mowers, one on each side of the car.
We recommended that the owner replace his exhaust system with something more
conventional.

Mike

Michael Singleton
Sportscars Ltd.
10170-M Croydon Way
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916) 366-0330
Mike@sportscarslimited.net

I did run side exhaust on my Vintage Race MGB and V6 powered GT for a
while.

The factory ran side exhaust on at least one of the DBL licence MGB race
cars, but probably without muffler.

There is enough room to fit a short muffler and swing the exhaust so it
exits just in front of the rear wheel.  I welded a washer to the spring
hanger structure, then used a rubber strap to hang the exhaust tip.

I don't recommend it.  With only a muffler the noise from the engine has
a lot of high frequency content which is not very enjoyable that close
to your ear.

The best exhaust note seems to come from using a large tubular straight
through muffler at the back of the car.  I'm also partial to the cleaner
look of the car without the lumpy muffler under the middle.

  My two bits

Kelvin Dodd

> On the exhaust question, I can't recall seeing any such thing on a B.
I'm
> wondering where the muffler would go. I can see it on a purely racing
MG,