Re: Crankshaft Bearings

To: sclifton@cfl.rr.com
Subject: Re: Crankshaft Bearings
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:42:04 -0500
Steve,
   I am told it can be done---I've never done it.   Connecting rod
bearings are easy to do from underneath the car, but mains seem much more
difficult.
   If you are having concerns about low oil pressure, replacing the rod
bearings may improve the pressure. I have done that to two engines, and
pressure increased from 15-20 hot in one and 45-50 hot in the other to
70.   John Twist says that the mains last about three times the life of
the rod bearings.  If that's true, then when the mains have about 210,000
miles on them it may be time to remove the engine and do a rebuilding.
   To confirm what Gordie wrote, removal of the MGB engine isn't
difficult, and if the mains really do need to be replaced, I also would
want to do the work with good lighting, better visibility and easier
access.
Bob