SU fuel pump life and stalling engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU fuel pump life and stalling engine
From: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:53:39 -0500
Hi everyone,

While driving my 1974 MGB recently, the engine would sputter badly and
sometimes stall when taking off from a stop. The stall happened more
often than not, and getting the car started again could be a bit of an
ordeal.
One side of me thinks that it could be time to replace the points dizzy
cap as it's been at least a year. But I don't put alot of miles on the car.
The fuel filter looked dirty, so I replaced it. But that didn't get rid
of the problem.
I've had the car just over four years, and replaced the old leaky fuel
pump with a new, non-solid state SU. It makes all the right noises when
I get ready to crank the starter.
Could the fuel pump be the problem? This only seems to happen once the
engine is good and warmed up long after the choke is off. I've watched
the fuel filter while the engine is running, and it receives a squirt of
fuel on a regular basis. The carbs are SU's and have been rebuilt and
rebushed within the last two years. They don't appear to be leaking, and
the dashpot oil level is where it should be.
Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. Frankly, I don't get to drive
the car nearly enough, and wonder if that could be a contributor to this
problem.
Thank you,

--
William T. Killeffer