Re: MGB head identification

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB head identification
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:51:50 -0800
Engine # is BHM 1109-228E. Allegedly was low-miles Gold Seal rebuild
(inspection of bearings confirmed reasonably low miles). Block and head were
gold-painted.

This motor was removed from a 1974 MGB-GT registered in NJ that was shipped
(driven?) to CA. The car could not be registered in CA due to lack of smog
equipment (it had headers and twin DCOEs). It was also a sad specimen of
"rust belt" deterioration -- from the side spears down it resembled lace. I
couldn't imagine why anyone would have put any money into engine work on
this vehicle. Neither could the shop which acquired it -- they immediately
put the drivetrain up for sale.

As my B had just chewed a big-end bearing, cracking the #3 main cap in the
process, I acquired this motor sans speed and dress-up parts (already spoken
for). It has been an extremely strong runner, with high compression and good
torque. I have about 50K miles on it.

IIRC, all this occurred circa 1989.

--

Max Heim