Re: Cooling

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: "bjshov8" <bjshov8@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:23:11 -0600
As an engineer I've thought about this for a long, long time.  How long, you
ask?  Well I was working in my father's garage in the early 1970's and when
we would remove a thermostat he told us we had to take it apart and put the
outer ring back in.  So if this is an "old wive's tale", then it's been
around for a long time.

Actually I can see both sides of the argument.  If the water goes through
the radiator too fast, then hot water comes out the bottom and back into the
engine.  On the other hand the engine is producing heat and as long as the
water is circulating through there above a minimum rate, it should be
carrying heat away.  Theories are great, but it is possible that someone
actually tested this and determined that too fast is not good.