Re: Polishing

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: Polishing
From: bill <bilking@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:34:04 -0500
Barrie Robinson wrote:

>I have aluminium water cooled/heated intake manifolds of a non-MGB vehicle
>and I want to polish them up to match the rest of theengine.  I got a quote
>for then from a polishing place - a mere $450 !   So I intend to do it
>myself. Anyone got advice on this?  I had thought of just rubbing the rough
>off (sand cast) with sandpaper ?? hand drill with buffing wheel & grit ???
>
>Regards
>
>Barrie Robinson

Be sure to post back in a few months and let us know how close to
finishing you are.  Suggest you look at motorcycle websites but to go
from sandcast to polished is a daunting challenge.  Basically start
coarse to eliminate all signs of sand casting and go finer to eliminate
the marks from the coarser medium and finer to eliminate those
scratches..ad nauseum.  Last use semichrome or mothers wheel polish.
You may wish you stuck with sandcast around halfway through.