Re: Mark Evans MG for sale [way OT] (Catapults etc.)

To: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Mark Evans MG for sale [way OT] (Catapults etc.)
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:35:26 -0500
I agree that the wing-warping idea was more sympathetic to the
"sketch" than movable control surfaces would have been; and that in
that light the show was respectful of the original design.

And I wouldn't hold anyone to a "fly it and die" approach.

But to me, the interesting thing about the exercise was that the old
sketch could be built into a flyable thing.  To make it into a really
good (or even reasonably safe) flying machine would take some
changes; but those changes and the resulting glider were less
interesting to me than was the initial construction and flight of
Leonardo's design.

That, in itself, was pretty amazing.  The proof of concept was more
interesting than the modern problem-solving/development of the design.

The catapult rope was a different kind of problem, and unequivocally
a screwup -- as opposed to perhaps overenthusiasm at the prospect at
making Leonardo's design actually *work*.

Matt