MSD

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MSD
From: Ric Johnson <johnsonr@dwx.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:49:51 -0600
Barrie wrote:

>MSD manufactures a 'multi-spark' device see
><http://www.msdignition.com>www.msdignition.com and I wonder at its
>worth.  I once read a piece which said that high voltage coils (big
>sparks, multiple sparks etc) were unnecessary and just fodder for the
>I-wanna-go-faster-so-give-me-racing-stripes fraternity.

At the all MG meet in Minneapolis a few years ago I sat in on the technical
sessions conducted by John Twist of University Motors and Kent Prather of
Prather Racing (multiple G Production SCCA National Champion in an MGA).
Both of them mentioned the MSD box as being one of the quickest and easiest
ways to boost horsepower in an MG engine, something on the order of 15-20
hp at the flywheel. A friend's experience with his autocross prepared MGB
would also seem to bear this out. I'm planning on trying one on my F Street
Prepared autocross '71 MGB this season if I can squeeze one into my meager
budget...

Ric Johnson
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Webmaster www.dmvrscca.org & www.iowabritishcarclub.com