Fw: Pearls of wisdom needed....

To: "V8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Fw: Pearls of wisdom needed....
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:44:00 -0000
The day after writing this I saw in the latest issue of the MG Owners Club
mag a tool to replace this clip.  Whilst at just under 19 quid it wouldn't
break the bank the engineer in me fancies making one.  Whilst doing a Google
search I found this Chicagoland page which shows the identical item, but
with no info or source or price.  It screws in to the brake pipe fitting and
so absolute cleanliness would be required.

The MGOC piece talks about having to line everything up to start with and I
can image this would be a bit fiddly.  The same Google search threw up this
http://www.bennetts.com/tools/vehicleservice?contentId=40844 the tool at the
bottom centre looking almost the same, for less than half the price of the
MGOC item.  Of course the thread and other dimensions could be different,
but that wouldn't explain the massive different in price.  It also seems to
have a one-piece taper and bolt (judging by what looks like another item in
black beside the assembled silver and black item, possibly of a different
size i.e. metric vs imperial), plus a body and a large thumb-wheel, which
looks easier to assemble and line up the clip.  But I can imagine an even
simpler one knocked up from short lengths of different diameter pipe/washers
would have the same effect.

PaulH.