Two issues solved (at little expense)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Two issues solved (at little expense)
From: philip.s.jones@comcast.net (Phil Jones)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:25:09 +0000
Hi all.  Some time ago, I posted regarding a couple of issues with my '72 GT,
and thought that it might be good to let you know how they worked out . . .
First:
'Orrible transmission sound - grindy/gravely, on a relatively recently rebuilt
overdrive tranny.  Happy news:  The wooden shift knob had "shrunk away" from
the metal threaded insert, and was generating bad noises whenever the shift
level would resonate.  Several dabs of non-hardening sealer between the shift
knob and threaded insert, and transmission sounds are now back to normal.
Woo-Hoo!
Second:
Charge light not coming on when key is in "on" position and car is not running
(although it did come on when idling under heavy electrical load, and when I
turned the key off and the engine was "spinning down").  Happy news:  I removed
and re-seated the alternator wiring plug; and now all performs by the book.
Another woo-hoo!
Shame on me for not checking these simple possibilities prior to posting to the
list; as always, thanks to the list for your helpful suggestions.
By the way:  today is the first monthly "Friday night rally" this year.  Going
to drive the GT with my '73-year old Dad as my navigator.  Let's hope for
patience, understanding, reliability, and a good result!  There's usually not
enough cars for a "vintage" class.  Last year, there was one rally that had a
couple of cars, thus creating a vintage class, and we won the top spot from a
'64 Mini-Cooper by one point!  For the year, we ended up 7th out of 32
competitors.

Phil