Re: EBay # 4612989869

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: EBay # 4612989869
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:25:08 -0800
Yeah, this is an example of someone buying a "last of marque" car and
storing it, hoping to sell it for big $$$ later. Unfortunately, a lot of
people had the same idea with 1980 MGBs, so it didn't really work out to be
such a hot investment. When you consider inflation and storage costs, they
may not have broke even (compare the price of a new Miata, even the base
model with no options).

A real puzzler is what to do with such a purchase. It almost has to stay a
museum piece. If you drive it, the value drops to that of a regular MGB. And
it doubtlessly needs all new rubber and hydraulics in order to be safely
driven, anyway. You might have to put $2-3K into it in order to make it into
a $10K driver -- that's definitely not a good investment.

On the other hand, it is valuable to posterity to have such pristine
examples preserved. But it more an act of philanthropy than an investment.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149