Re: Re: Car Alarm

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, <schultejim@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Car Alarm
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:26:25 +1300
Bob sez:

> Jim,
>   Do you have any recent recollection of anyone responding to a security
> alarm sounding off?
>  A recent survey of my acquaintances reveals that none would interfere
> with the ongoing theft as their interest is in getting the sound to go
> away as quickly as possible.  Around here, nobody pays attention to them
> otherwise as they are so common.
>   In my MGs, I have a concealed kill switch to the battery.  It won't
> stop someone from towing the cars, but will keep someone from driving
> them away. Another approach is to have a switch on fuel-pump wire, so car
> can be started but it dies shortly after being driven into traffic.
> Bob

On my 'real' TF I had the ignition circuit wired up through a relay
connected to the generator voltage controller. When the generator satrted
charging the relay would pull open and the ignition would fail.  The engine
would idle ok, but it was impossible to drive.

As it happened, the only time that any one tried to take the car, they
couldnt get the fly off hand brake to release!

Ian F