RE: And, I make S curves as I drive down the road

To: "Mike Torrusio" <Miket@maine.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: And, I make S curves as I drive down the road
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:04:49 -0800
Mike:

Really common problem, really easy fix.

The rear axle U bolts tend to work loose as the rubber pads harden and
compress.

Unless you know what you are looking for, it's a tough one to catch as
the bolts are going to feel tight.

Back the nuts off a tad, then retighten.  That should do the trick.  Be
aware that the bolts may shear, or may be worn where they meet the pad
supports.  So if they look a bit iffy, plan on buying new bits before
starting the job.

The real fix is to install new pads (this is where I recommend Poly
ones) with new U bolts and nuts.

After the new U bolts have been installed for a couple of weeks, give
them an extra tighten to take up any compression and you won't have the
problem again.

Kelvin.