Re: Time estimates to complete various MGB tasks

To: Steve@shoyer.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Time estimates to complete various MGB tasks
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:59:30 EST
In a message dated 3/7/2006 2:15:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Steve@shoyer.com writes:

Can  anyone give me an idea of how long it usually takes to do the following
tasks  (1980 MGB, assume typical amounts of rust), by someone who has never
done them  before:

- Replace rear springs
- Replace rear brake shoes
-  Replace handbrake cable
- Replace cam
- Replace carpets
- Replace  seat foams and covers

My memory may be slipping on some of these, but here's a go at  it.

Springs--2 hrs, assuming bolts slide out OK (squirt with oil)
brake shoes--First time, 3 hours.  Second time, half that.
brake cable--the new one is still sitting on my workbench.
cam--haven't been close to that one.
carpets--roadster, later years--Oh, heck. That could be 6 hours, I  think.
For GT, more than double that.
Seat foams and covers--This all depends on your speed at getting the seats
back in.  Can be 4-5 hours, tops.  The clips attaching the seat covers  to the
seat rails go pretty quick, nothing like the torture by hog rings on US  cars.
  On this one and the carpets it would pay to review speed  methods for
getting the seats back in.

Jay Donoghue
72 B-GT
66 Mustang