Re: MGB center of gravity?

To: "Matt Trebelhorn" <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Subject: Re: MGB center of gravity?
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:53:03 -0700 (MST)
I haven't ever done it on an MGB, but it's not that hard to do from a 2
dimensional (right left, front back) perspective.  Up down, that's another
story.  Many speed shops can do what's called a "corner balance."  They
put a very accurate scale under each wheel, and see what kind of load it
is carrying.  On most cars it's very difficult to adjust, because you have
to cut or change springs.  I had this done to my porsche (which is fully
adjustible), and getting it just right makes it so that you corner evenly
right to left.  Then again, people that race on an oval track would set it
up for a one direciton turn only, and that setting is different.

Anyhow, with the weight on each wheel, you can determine the front to back
bias, and the right to left bias, but the key measure is driver's side
front corner weight + passenger side rear corner weight = passenger side
front corner weight + driver's side rear corner weight (i.e. the diagonals
are equal).

For more infomation, do a couple searches on the net - there's a lot of
good information out there, but I couldn't find my favorite page about it
real quickly.

Phil Bates
Lot's of british stuff - some German and French too.