Re: replacing rear shocks

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: replacing rear shocks
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:40:40 -0700
on 4/4/06 2:04 PM, Aaron Whiteman at awhitema@panix.com wrote:

> While I was replacing my flexible brake lines, I noticed my RR shock
> has been leaking.
>
> Yesterday, my newly rebuilt Armstrong levers from WWAP arrived.
>
> It looks to me like I might be able to remove/replace the shock
> without dealing with the spring, just unbolt the linkage, remove the
> old shock from the body, and reverse the process for the new?  Is
> this the case, or am I in for a world of unexpected hurt?

I don't see how the spring has anything to do with it. It has been awhile
since I had to do this, but on cars in general one simply replaces shocks
without messing with the springs (except in the case of McPherson struts, of
course).

> Also, I installed the MOSS 1" lower springs a while back, and didn't
> change the rebound straps.  I suspect I should have, but I don't know
> what I need.  I don't want to cause any damage to my (new) shocks, so
> any help is appreciated!

If the spring is flatter, than that is presumably reducing the total
suspension travel, so I don't see how the shock could be damaged, even if
the rebound strap is now apparently too long. After all, the old strap would
stop travel before reaching the point where the shock would be damaged, in
any case. If the straps are in dubious condition, then you have a point.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149