MGA Generator

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Generator
From: Robert Guinness <rjglaw@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:29:50 -0500
I am having trouble keeping a charge on the battery in my MGA 1600.  The
ignition light goes out promptly when the car reaches proper RPM's. I
disconnect the battery when I'm not going to drive it for a while.  In
checking out the generator, I noticed that the model number was 22742K.
I am guessing that this was from a Sprite/Midget with a sub 1000cc
engine.  Should this matter at all.?  Should I replace the generator
with one that is "more proper" for my car?  I haven't had the chance to
test the generator, and I won't have time before LBC Car Co's sale is
over.If I should replace the generator even if the old one can be
repaired, I would prefer to buy it now to save a few bucks.  Any
suggestions will be appreciated.
--
Robert Guinness