Re: Looking for the elusive rear shims...

To: "McDowell, Jeffrey B., JO1" <jbmcdowell@nmsc.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Looking for the elusive rear shims...
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:00:48 -0500
At 08:38 AM 4/18/06, McDowell, Jeffrey B., JO1 wrote:
>Good morning from Jax Fl,
>
>According to a guy here in town who does serious restorations, a
>person needs the shims which are listed in MOSS as # 267-810 through
>267-890 (various sizes), to properly de-clunk a tube-type rear diff.
>problem is, the are not available in any catalog that I routinely
>use.  Does anybody know of a similar part from any place which could
>be used in their place? This seems like a simple part, but no one
>carries them.
>
>Any ideas?

That sounds like an odd request.  Those parts almost never need to be
replaced.  Changing the thickness of those parts will screw up the
ring gear alignment.

Usually the only things needing to be replaced to de-clunk the beast
would be the the flat fiber washers, Moss part number 267-140 (2
pcs), and maybe the brass pinion thrust washers 267-130 (2
pcs).  Cheap and easy job maybe 90 minutes pulling one half shaft and
the rear cover.  No need to disassemble the carrier bearings.  Just
punch out the locking pin to remove the pinion shaft, and replace the
thrust washers with your fingers.  See photo tour here:
http://chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/b_clunk

Barney Gaylord
1959 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com