Re: POR 15 and polish

To: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>
Subject: Re: POR 15 and polish
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:09:49 -0500
On Apr 27, 2006, at 8:49 AM, Gosling, Richard wrote:

> One minor note on POR-15:
>
> I painted all the new bits for my sill replacement with POR-15 before
> they were welded.  I just painted straight on top of the primer the
> parts came in.  The guy who did my welding said that the POR-15 was
> peeling off already when he was doing the welding.
>
> I guess you really do need to go down to bare metal to get the benefit
> from this stuff - it's no good painting it on top of something else.

Yeah, it bonds to metal. Actually, I believe it says it bonds better
to rusty metal than clean bare metal. I bought a little starter kit
that came with a couple cleaner (Marine Clean and maybe something else
too). I did the underside of my new trunk lid. I started just doing
the edges
where the surface stuff was showing, but got carried away. It seems
pretty
good and rock hard now.

Life has since got in the way, and it's still sitting on the work bench.

> I used Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine to polish my car - 'cos it said
> on the
> bottle it was good for dark colours (I've got Black Tulip).  Pretty
> chuffed with the results, given what I started with 11 months ago.
> YMMV.  Can't remember what brand my chrome polish is, but given the
> state of my chrome I'm asking a bit much of any polish to make it look
> good...

I had to go to the english2american.com dictionary for 'chuffed'. Sounds
like an unhappy word to me, but then I remembered a few days ago, you
were saying how good the car was looking.

I was amused by the definition of 'chuff' right above. They are
unrelated,
but probably used together for good 7-11 year old bathroom humor. :-)

> Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)

Black Tulip is my absolute favorite color, that I've never
seen in person. :-)

    _______     Paul T. Root
   /     __\  1977 MGB
   \_______/