Re: temperature guage

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: temperature guage
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 09:34:58 +0100
How do the numbers on the face-plates differ?  I did find one reference to
that number as being for an MGB but it didn't say which model or year.
After the gauge changed to become the single electric in late 67 it changed
again for the 72 model year, and again for the 77 model year.  This last has
the subsidiary reference number BT 2231/01 in the Parts Catalogue, but the
other two do not have a BT number, so your number could be either of the
earlier items, and if the face plate numbering is different is probably the
'other' one.  However, how do you know it is the gauge and not the sender?
Or the wiring?  And the gauge is calibratable over quite a large range, if
it is reading but not pointing to the right area.  If it isn't reading at
all, or very low, ground the green/blue at the sender on the head and the
needle should move smartly up to the H.  Only ground it long enough to see
if it does get to the H, and if it does the problem is the sender.  If not,
ground the green/blue on the back of the gauge - *NOT* the green - and if
the needle moves up to H then it is the wiring.

PaulH.